I have struggled finding a great coconut oil pie crust, the first try I just subsituted the oil for shortning with no luck.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil warmed to half liquid state
- 1/4 cup cold whole milk
- Combine dry ingredients by mixing flour and salt in large mixing bowl with a fork.
- Combine wet ingredients by pouring cold milk into bowl containing liquified coconut oil and slightly stir with a whisk.
- Pour liquid ingrediants into dry ingrediants and mix for 1 minute with a fork into a dough ball. If needed adding 1 teaspoon milk if too dry or 1 teaspoon of flour if too wet.
- Smooth into large disk and allow disk to rest for 15 minutes before proceeding.
- Transfer disk from mixing bowl roll flat between 2 pieces of parchment or wax paper or large gallon sized zipoc bag split open.
- Continue using favroite pie recipe yielding 2 crusts for 8-9 inch pies
Handy tip … roll out round and gently remove top sheet or paper and then replace paper but replace using the dry side of the parchment and flip into pan making sure to place in the corners and not stretching the raw crust.
I bake my cherry pie for 60 minutes at 400 degrees
Credits and inspirations
I was inspired by these youtube videos for a super easy oil and milk piecrust
2 cups flour
1/2 to 1 tsp salt (your preference)
1 TBSP sugar (optional)
1/2 cup oil (any, even olive oil is okay)
1/4 cup milk (I used 2% but any kind okay)
Winter Family Easy Never-fail Pie Crust 8-9 inch two crust pie – video includes apple pie
1) In large bowl mix 2 cups all-purpose flour less 2 T. and 3/4 tsp salt
2) In glass measuring cup measure 1/2 cup oil (plus 1 T)
3) Add (measured separately) 1/4 cup milk, mix well with fork
4) Pour liquids all at once into bowl with flour and salt. Stir with fork until blended and pastry cleans side of bowl. (If pastry seems dry, 1-2 Tablespoons of oil can be added.)
5) Gather pastry into a ball and divide roughly into halves.
Roll halves into ball and flatten slightly. Place flattened round between two 15-inch lengths of waxed paper. Roll pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate (you can turn paper with pastry and flip over to enable you to roll it out into a nice circle). Peel off top paper and replace. Flip over and peel off what was the bottom but is now the top paper. Place paper side up in pie plate. Peel off paper. Ease pastry loosely into plate
Read about using a cornstarch disk for perfect crust from milk street but have yet to try.