- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (see footnote for recipe link)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- #10 can dark sweet cherries, pitted and drained
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup lemon juice * (based on cherry tart/sweetness)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup starch + 2T corn sprinkled on each pie before topping (tapioca / rice flour / corn starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil since juice may overflow pie shell
- Roll out pie crust and lay into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Combine brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Work butter into the mixture with your fingers, breaking up any large pieces, until incorporated completely. Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
- Combine cherries, lemon juice, white sugar, and cornstarch. Stir until well coated and no dry lumps remain
- Pour cherries and any accumulated juices into the prepared pie pan. Press down into the pan. Crumble oat mixture over the top. (Juice should be 2/3 way up crust and pie slightly over full)
- Place the pan on the foil prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cherries are bubbling and the crust and crumble topping are browned, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool completely.